Mmh! Yummy! Don’t we all love treats! Our little friend the guinea pig loves treats as well.
But are all treats safe for the little animals or can some cause health complications?
Let’s find out….
Guinea pigs unlike human beings are not crazy about sweet treats that contain sugar. In fact, such treats are quite unhealthy for the piggy.
Some of the treats sold for the guinea pigs very often may contain harmful ingredients that contain sugar, more fat, calcium, more protein, and many other unhealthy add-ons.
Then, what drives them ‘nutty?’ you may ask.
Guinea pigs are easy to please. Fruits and vegetables are their treats. Again, not all of these are safe.
The solution is packed treats from trusted sources.
We have selected some of the best guinea pigs treats that you might need to read their reviews and know more about them. Again, we have a buying guide to help you when buying your pet’s treats.
First, get the recap of the reviews in this table. Click on the name to view the product.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Guinea Pig Treats 2019
- #1 (Packed with Nutrients) Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked Apple Treat, 4oz Bag
- #2 (Crispy and Crunchy) Ware Manufacturing Rice Pops Small Animal Chew Treat
- #3 (Delicious Yogurt) eCOTRITION Yogies
- #4 (Vitamin C Booster) Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C Supplement
- #5 (Tasty and Digestible) Vitakraft Rabbit Slims
- #6 (Yummy Candy-like Treat) Vitakraft Rabbit Drops
- #7 (Fiber-Rich Timothy Hay-based Treat) Oxbow Essentials Adult Guinea Pig (Timothy Based) Treat
- #8 (Tasty and Nutritious) Kaytee Mixed Berry Flavor Yogurt Chips for Rabbit and Guinea Pig
- #9 (Blueberry-Yogurt-Flavored Fiesta) Kaytee Fiesta Blueberry Flavored Yogurt Dipped
- #10 (Triple-Extra Crunchy) Vitakraft Guinea Pig Sticks – 3.5oz Bag
- Buyer’s Guide
- What Would You Consider When Buying Guinea Pig Treats?
- Final Verdict
Top 10 Best Guinea Pig Treats 2019
|Product Name||Type of Treat||Weight||Ratings out of 5* / Reviews|
|Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked Apple Treat||Round pellets||4 oz||4.3*/1,176|
|Ware Manufacturing Rice Pops||Wafer||0.64 oz||4.5*/752|
|eCOTRITION Yogies||Round pellets||3.5 oz||4.5*/503|
|Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C Supplement||Round pellets||4.2 oz||4.6*/259|
|Vitakraft Rabbit Slims||Wafer||1.76 oz||4.5*/232|
|Vitakraft Drops||Drops||5.3 oz||4.4*/213|
|Oxbow Essentials Adult Guinea Pig (Timothy Based) Treat||Pellets||5 lb||4.6*/182|
|Kaytee Mixed Berry Flavor Yogurt Chips||Round pellets||3.5 oz||4.4*/198|
|Kaytee Fiesta Blueberry Flavored Yogurt Dipped||Round pellets||3.5 oz||4.5*/176|
|Vitakraft Guinea Pig Sticks – 3.5oz Bag||Sticks||3.5 oz||4.4*/148|
#1 (Packed with Nutrients) Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked Apple Treat, 4oz Bag
Kaytee Timothy Biscuits are not just any other treat, but, they are packed with nutrients that would aid your guinea pig in improving dental health.
The treat is a blend of high-fiber hay and baked apple and in a shape of biscuit.
Kaytee Timothy Biscuits are the best treat to give to your pet especially when intending to bond.
It is likely if you have lately introduced your pet to your family, the pet is still shy and unsure of the safety of its surrounding. If that is the case then, you need Kaytee Timothy Biscuits to help you bond your relationship.
The treat which is made with natural organic apples has that crunchy apple taste that will surely reach your pet as you extend your hand of friendship.
This treat is highly reviewed and highly rated. It is No. 1 Best Seller.
- Packed with nutrients for good health
- Aids in dental health when gnawing the treat
- A blend of high-fiber hay and baked apple
- The best way for bonding relationship
- No. 1 Best Seller
- It has crumbs and broken ones probably from shipping
#2 (Crispy and Crunchy) Ware Manufacturing Rice Pops Small Animal Chew Treat
The Rice Pops Treat is manufactured carefully to include rice and corn which is well balanced to a healthy nutrition treat with crunchiness and delicious flavor.
While the goodies help to boost nutrients in the pet’s health, they also help their dental health as well. You can break your feeding routine with this treat.
But, while your pet may go crazy about this treat, restrain yourself from over-feeding it. Take the treat as a snack for passing the time or for leisure but replacing regular feeding.
The size of one piece of treat measures one and a half inches. One user commented that she gives her piggy a third of the pop once in a while. Not bad, you can also do that especially when you sense your pet is bored.
- Stabilized corn and rice ingredients
- Crunchy and delicious
- High in nutrients
- Vital for dental health
- Artificial colors which are not good for guinea pig health
The formula has lately changed which affects its quality negatively
#3 (Delicious Yogurt) eCOTRITION Yogies
eCOTRITION has easy-to-digest delicious yogurt as its main ingredient. Yogurt adds probiotic to your piggy’s digestive health by boosting the digestive system.
Yogies come in two different flavors, cheese and fruit. You will then choose what you think your little friend would love most. Or you can buy both flavors so that you can alternate the two treats.
Your piggy will love either of the flavored treats or both which can be much better. As you know, this is a snack, and it should not take the place of your piggy’s food. Again, you need to go slow on it. 1 or 2 of this treat is enough for a day.
The content is a pack of 3.5 oz.
- Easy to digest treat
- A tasty treat made with real yogurt which adds probiotic, vital bacteria for a healthy digestive system
- A blend of best grains, seeds, veggies, and nuts
- Two favorite flavors, cheese, and fruit
- With added minerals and vitamins
- It gets sticky when exposed to heat forming a lump
- Not healthy to overfeed your pet with this treat
#4 (Vitamin C Booster) Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C Supplement
Something you may not know is that guinea pigs don’t make their own vitamin C. It is essential to feed your piggy vitamin C supplements albeit moderately.
Oxbow Natural is the best source of vitamin C for your piggy friend. The treat is more like the regular pellets you feed your pet. It is therefore easy to introduce it by mixing with your pet’s favorite pellets.
You will overcome the stress of forcing it to eat the treat when it is shy of it.
The treat provides the much-needed vitamin C in a stabilized way. Having known that, then you understand how vital this treat could be to your piggy.
Unlike other treats, this one is a dosage treat. You only need to give your piggy pet one pellet per day.
Oxbow Natural Science treat is especially important when your pet is recuperating from an illness or when you notice nervousness or stress.
The treat is made in the USA and therefore an assurance of standardized quality
It is a favorite among the many guinea pigs owners with high rating which makes it Amazon’s Choice. Click here to find out why they like it.
- Stabilized Vitamin C for your piggy’s health
- In pellet form and therefore easy to introduce it
- Hay-based with high fiber pellets
- Essential for alienating stress
- No additives, artificial flavors or artificial colors
- Has awful smell
#5 (Tasty and Digestible) Vitakraft Rabbit Slims
Vitakraft has manufactured this treat in three different flavors, corn, carrot and cocktail.
With these three different flavors, your pet will at least take to one of them. If your piggy loves the three flavors, the better it will be.
You can buy the three flavors here and alternate them so that your pet does not get bored with one flavor.
The ingredients of this treat are the finest grains and carrots depending on the flavor. Guinea pigs love carrots, and therefore your pet will quickly take to the treat.
Vitakraft is a nutritious treat which is tasty and digestible. The crunch and crispy treat make your pet enjoy gnawing it which is ideal for dental health and its general health.
The treat is made in the US which should assure you of high-quality food
- Finest grains and carrots ingredients
- Nutritious and digestible
- Crispy and crunch good for dental health
- Made in the US assurance of quality control
- Contains corn which is high in starch can affect the digestive system
#6 (Yummy Candy-like Treat) Vitakraft Rabbit Drops
No one can blame you if you are tempted to devour the whole packet of this treat. Yes, they are irresistible.
The treat will also attract your little friend that you won’t need to cajole it to taste it.
Vitakraft Rabbit Drops is not only good for rabbits but all other small animals such as guinea pigs.
It is a blend of yogurt and ripe berries, you can imagine the taste. The treat will not only leave your piggy with the flavor in the mouth but with added protein and whey.
Whey contains probiotic for a healthier digestive system. Also, it contains Lecithin which is essential for healthier skin and a soft coat.
Vitakraft Rabbit Drops is all natural with no added artificial flavors or colors, and therefore your pet is safe with this treat.
Reward your little friend with these yummy drops or use them to the bond relationship.
To maintain the taste and freshness, reseal the bag after use.
- Added balanced protein for growth and whey for digestion
- Contains Lecithin for healthier skin and soft coat
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Best bonding treat
- A bit pricey for 5.3 oz pack
- Sugar and fat in high level can be toxic to your guinea pig
#7 (Fiber-Rich Timothy Hay-based Treat) Oxbow Essentials Adult Guinea Pig (Timothy Based) Treat
This treat is a must-have for your adult piggy friend.
Oxbow Essentials is real adult guinea pig treat. It contains Timothy Hay, and therefore, it is the best choice in providing more fiber which an adult piggy needs most for its digestion.
The treat is also essential in aiding dental health by initiating wearing of molars which continually grow. When gnawing on the fiber, they work on their teeth as well.
Oxbow Essential contains low levels of calcium, protein, and fats. You may know, an adult piggy does not need lots of protein, calcium or fat.
Click here to see the many ingredients which are packed with nutrients for a healthy adult pet.
If the pet does not like it when you first introduce it, you can try to mix it with its best food little by little and eventually it might acquire the taste and come to like it.
- Contains Timothy Hay specially formulated for an adult guinea pig digestive system
- Controlled levels of calcium, calories, and protein
- Ideal for wearing molars which grow constantly
- Packed with nutrients from many different ingredients
- May not like the taste at first but by using introducing technique, it will pick the flavor to like it
#8 (Tasty and Nutritious) Kaytee Mixed Berry Flavor Yogurt Chips for Rabbit and Guinea Pig
If you thought you had discovered the best treats, you were wrong if you have never tried Kaytee Mixed Berry Flavor Yogurt Chips.
The treat is not only tasty but nutritious. It is fortified with yogurt and full of fruit flavors. This treat will make your pet reel with delight or do the ‘popcorn’ dance every time you approach it while holding the packet.
Remember, this is just a treat and not food. Be rational while giving treats to your pet and including this one.
Just like a child, overeating of candies may not go well with their health. It is the same case with our little friends. Too much of the treats may not go well with them also.
- Tasty and nutritious
- Fortified with yogurt
- Essential for the digestive system due to probiotics
- Fruits flavors
- Too much of treats can harm your pet’s health
#9 (Blueberry-Yogurt-Flavored Fiesta) Kaytee Fiesta Blueberry Flavored Yogurt Dipped
Kaytee is a household name in making the best guinea pig stuff. So trust the manufacturer to come up with a delicious fiesta with blueberry and yogurt flavors, two of guinea pig favorite flavors.
Kaytee Yo Dips treats have delicious yogurt coating of fruit flavor. This treat is not just any other treat, but fun and healthy treat for your little friend. However, use it sparingly.
It is packed with many essential ingredients rich in nutrients and flavors.
Among essential ingredients are:
- Lecithin is vital for improving the skin and softening its coat and fur
- Dried whey with reduced lactose for the digestive system by providing probiotic
- Citric Acid for vitamin C which guinea pigs lack
- Packed with many other essential nutrients.
What your guinea pig will love most in this treat is the outside yogurt-coating with fruit flavor and with a crunchy blueberry-center.
Try out this treat, and you will both like it. It is the perfect reward when training your pet.
- Delicious yogurt coating
- Packed with essential nutrients, minerals, and vitamins
- Yogurt and blueberry flavor
- Irresistible to your pet
- Most of the pets seem not to like the inside of this treat
#10 (Triple-Extra Crunchy) Vitakraft Guinea Pig Sticks – 3.5oz Bag
Vitakraft Sticks are made with tasty ingredients such as fruit and honey.
Some of the ingredients in this treat are a selection of top quality grains and fruits with added minerals and vitamins.
The worst thing you can do is to use the clip holder to hang the goodies on the cage. Try that and your pet will ‘popcorn’ trying to reach the packet. Also, it will get distracted from eating other feeds like hay while eyeing the treat.
The customers who have already used Vitakraft for their pets have given this treat positive rating and the reason it is Amazon’s Choice.
Vitakraft Sticks are triple baked to make them extra crunchy. Being extra crunchy helps the guinea pig wear its molar teeth, an essential process in the life of this animal.
The teeth of a guinea pig grow continually, and without wearing out, they can overgrow to affect its dental health later.
- Made from selected top quality ingredients
- The treat is tasty and irresistible
- Vitakraft Sticks are triple baked to make them extra crunchy
- The treat is essential for teeth to wear
- Amazon’s Choice
- The treat has seeds which can get stuck in the gum and teeth
- A little bit price for a 3.5oz packet
Guinea pigs pets are contained in an area where they are limited to getting what they want and suitable for their excellent health.
Since you have chosen to keep this animal as your pet, it would be inhumane if you fail to:
- Properly feed it
- Provide a cage
- Make it comfortable
- Make it happy
Making your pet happy is vital for alienating stress and other health conditions.
One way of making your pet happy is treating it with special goodies once in a while. Doing this will not only make your pet happy but, it will help to bond relationship.
What Would You Consider When Buying Guinea Pig Treats?
There are various factors that you need to master while buying your pet some treats.
All treats are not safe for all ages. For instance, protein and calcium-rich treats may be unsafe for an adult guinea pig but best for the young ones, the pregnant, and the lactating mother.
On the other hand, too much fiber might not go well with a young and growing piggy but best for the adult.
Always check on the packet what age that kind of treat targets. If not sure, ask your vet whether the treat you intend to buy is safe for your pet.
Be careful when picking that delicious-looking treat. It might be poison to your pet. Many pet owners have reported fatal effects caused by some of the dangerous treats.
Go slow on treats with ingredients such as sugar, fat, starch, calcium, and protein. While some of these ingredients are vital for your pet’s health, they need to be administered sparingly.
For instance, the best treats should contain ingredients such as:
- Fresh hay or grass – Fiber is the main ingredient to a cavy’s feeding plan. Their staple feed is hay. Hay is essential in adding fiber to the health of your pet and also vital in the tooth-wear process.
- Vitamin C – Guinea pigs don’t generate their Vitamin C. A daily treat (one pellet) every once daily, is vital in all ages of a guinea pig.
Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C Supplements is the best choice of vitamin C treat for your pet.
- Alfalfa – Young cavies, pregnant and lactating adult female, and the recuperating animal should feed more on alfalfa hay since it contains protein in high quantity. Protein is essential for growth of both the fetus and the young guinea pig through sucking.
- Fruit and vegetables – Vegetable should be the main ingredient. And because your cavy hardly goes out to foliage its food, veggies would be the stand-in until you get hay.
Vegetables cannot and will never replace hay. The two ingredients are vital in their unique way and in nutrients provision.
• Content Size
Check the content against the price. Ask yourself whether it is worthy buying such a treat that costs that much.
Some treats are packed in a small package and yet pricey. The small bag is advisable when introducing the treat to your pet. But, after that when your pet has taken to it, go for a bigger content pack because it might be economical, and it will save you time and frequent re-orders.
Stabilizers, artificial flavors, colorings, and all other added chemicals are not safe for the health of your pet.
Be keen when reading the label especially to check on such chemicals. Avoid treats with the said chemicals.
Lastly, what you cannot afford is less important. After all, treats are like candies, and therefore they are not a must-have. There are many delicious treats and yet affordable.
Be prudent when selecting your treats and you won’t have to stretch your pocket to make your pet happy.
The number one responsibility of a pet owner is the well being of the pet. Among all other provisions to your pet, feeding takes the first place.
You should adhere to punctuality in the feeding time. Again, all important nutrients should be addressed when feeding your pet.
Lastly, consider healthy treats for your pet to bond your relationship and to make your pet happy. Your pet craves for your company, and when giving goodies, you are also keeping company.
Our top pick after evaluating each product basing our finding on the nutrients, value, and the customers’ choice is Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked Apple Treat. The treat is a blend of high-fiber hay and baked apple and in biscuit shape.
The second best and which can go concurrently with our first pick is Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C Supplement. The supplement is vital in providing Vitamin C. It is a must-have for your pet.
For budget treats eCOTRITION Yogies is our pick. The content and the nutrients against its price make it the best pick for the budget.
What is your pick? Please tell in the comment section here below