One strange thing about a guinea pig is its teeth. Do you know the teeth grow the way our nails grow and need frequent filing just the way our nails do?
You may not be familiar with the guinea pig life and its body structure. If that’s so, you may be shocked to find out about the teeth fact.
Maybe you are a guinea pig pet owner, and you don’t know that it is your responsibility to provide your piggy with tools to grind or file its teeth to wear them down.
Table of Contents
- Do you know what you need for such an activity?
- Top 10 Best Guinea Pig Chews 2019
- #1 (Best Choice) Kaytee Nut Knot Nibbler for Small Animals
- #2 (Natural Fun Chew) Ware Manufacturing Willow Branch Ball for Small Animals
- #3 (Crispy Crunchy Chew) Ware Manufacturing Rice Pops Small Animal Chew Treat
- #4 (Wood Sisal Loofa Carrot Patch) Kaytee 3 Count Chew Toy, Carrot Patch Variety
- #5 (The Perfect Chew) Kaytee Perfect Chews for Guinea Pigs
- #6 (100% Natural Willow) Ware Manufacturing Ware Willow Critters Pretzel Sticks Small Pet Chew
- #7 (Delicious Cheesy Chew) 8 In 1 Pet Products SEOP84002 Ecotrition Small Animal Cheesie Chews
- #8 (Brain-Storming Teeth Wear Chew) Kaytee Carousel Chew Toy Carrot, Large
- #9 (Picky Piggy Puzzle) Kaytee Combo Chews, Apple Wood and Crispy Puzzle
- #10 (Super-pet Chews) Kaytee Superpet (Pets International) SSR61126 Wood Small Animal Apple Orchard Chew Sticks
- Buyer’s Guide
- What Would You Consider When You Intend to Buy Chews?
Do you know what you need for such an activity?
Don’t worry then. We are here to help you solve this puzzle by providing you with the best chewy.
Get an exclusive review of 10 of the best guinea pig chews with pros and cons to assist you make the right choice.
Further, we have prepared a buying guideline to make sure you get it right when buying your pet a chew toy to avoid making any mistake which in a worse case can be fatal.
But, before you continue, have a recap of what we shall be reviewing in this table. Click on each item’s name to have a look at what is in the review.
Top 10 Best Guinea Pig Chews 2019
|Product Name||Type of Chew||Ratings out of 5* / Reviews|
|Kaytee Nut Knot Nibbler for Small Animals||Natural wood||3.7*/1,137|
|Ware Manufacturing Willow Branch Ball||Willow branch||4.1*/763|
|Ware Manufacturing Rice Pops||Rice and corn||4.5*/752|
|Kaytee 3 Count Chew Toy, Carrot Patch Variety||Wood/sisal/loofah||3.4*/371|
|Kaytee Perfect Chews for Guinea Pigs||Wood/sisal/metal||3.7*/303|
|Ware Manufacturing Ware Willow Critters Pretzel Sticks Small Pet Chew||Natural willow wood||3.8*/289|
|8 In 1 Pet Products SEOP84002 Ecotrition||Real cheese||4.7*/222|
|Kaytee Carousel Chew Toy Carrot, Large||Wood/loofah||4.0*/149|
|Kaytee Combo Chews||Apple wood/crispy chew||3.8*/148|
|Kaytee Superpet (Pets International) SSR61126 Wood – Apple Orchard Chew Sticks||Apple orchard sticks||4.0*/146|
#1 (Best Choice) Kaytee Nut Knot Nibbler for Small Animals
The idea of this toy is to encourage chewing and playing. That is why Kaytee thought it wise to have it in multi-colors to attract you piggy to the toy.
It is not as big as it appears in the picture as you can see it here. It is only 4L x 4W x 3.25H inches. It is the right size for a small pet like a guinea pig to play around with it.
This toy is made of 100% natural wood that is safe to chew, and that is why it is a great hit with piggy owners.
You don’t have to worry about the colors on this Kaytee Medium Nut Knot Nibbler. The manufacturer was careful to use vegetable or food dye coloring which is also safe for your pet.
Provide your pet with hours of fun to kill boredom which can cause stress. You little friend will have fun trying to discover the ‘hidden treasure’ at the center of the Nut Knot Nibbler. What a welcome surprise to your piggy!!
- Encourage chewing and playing
- Vital for dental health by wearing teeth
- Attractive in multi-colors
- Made of 100% natural wood
- Colored with safe vegetable coloring
- Hidden ‘treasure’ at the center of the toy
- Can be hazardous when the wood splinter into sharp pieces
- Inconsistent quality
#2 (Natural Fun Chew) Ware Manufacturing Willow Branch Ball for Small Animals
Hanging the willow branch ball is the best way to deal with this toy. The toy will create a hive of activities inside the cage when you little pet tries to nudge or nibble it.
The natural willow used on this toy is safe for chewing and tough to help wear the teeth while nibbling it.
The willow branch will act more like a toothbrush to the tiny teeth of your little pet. It will help to file the teeth as well as keep them clean while enjoying gnawing at it.
Unlike other toys that chip off, this Willow Branch Ball will hold together for days
- Made of natural willow that is safe to pets
- Encourages chewing for dental health and clean teeth
- Alleviates boredom and stress by running after the ball
- It does not chip off to cause injuries from sharp ends
- It can be fatal by strangling the animal when the willow string comes off
- Can leave a mess of shreds
#3 (Crispy Crunchy Chew) Ware Manufacturing Rice Pops Small Animal Chew Treat
Ware Rice Pops play two roles, chews and treats. Your pet will surely be delightful from having this chews.
Unlike other many chews which are toys and cannot be consumed, this one is edible. These pieces of chews are best in promoting clean teeth and dental health.
Even while munching their way to this crispy and crunchy chews they will get occupied to overcome stress caused by cage boredom.
As the chew takes care of dental health, it will also treat your pet and help you bond the relationship especially if it is a new member in the family.
The ingredients used to make this chew are rice, corn, sugar, and food colors.
Since it contains sugar and corn, you need to dish it out sparingly. One guinea pig owner said she gives her pet a third of one stick in a day.
- The chew is edible unlike other toy chews in the market
- It helps to improve dental health as well as keeping the teeth clean
- Ware Rice Pops is a treat which can make your pet happy
- Helps to alienate boredom
- Contains corn and sugar which are both starches
- Cannot chew it the whole day or night because of starch content
#4 (Wood Sisal Loofa Carrot Patch) Kaytee 3 Count Chew Toy, Carrot Patch Variety
Keeping your pet chewing is one activity you should take seriously. You don’t want an ugly looking pet with protruding canines. Also, having overgrown teeth can be a detriment to its health.
Get this Kaytee 3 Count Chew, and you will rest the worries of your pet’s dental health.
It has three varieties of carrot shapes.
The wood carrot will provide a gnawing hard source for filing its teeth. Sisal carrot is essential for cleaning the teeth, and the loofa carrot is a chew that will floss your pet’s teeth. The stems of the three pieces are made of sisal, again for cleaning teeth.
With three pieces, your pet will be far from being bored. The cage will be a hype of gnawing and chewing, an activity they love most.
- Essential for filing, cleaning and flossing teeth
- Different textures for different activities
- Other users complain of glue presence which can be toxic
#5 (The Perfect Chew) Kaytee Perfect Chews for Guinea Pigs
Kaytee Perfect Chews is a replica of the natural items imitated in the chew. It will be easy to hoodwink and entice your pet to dive for this chews.
The chew is vital for wearing teeth and keeping them clean and strong. While the pet is busy gnawing on the chew, the exercise will keep it occupied and therefore avoid restlessness.
The items involved in this chew are models of orange slices, a wood log, wood balls, and a brilliant colored block. The chews are then attached to hang on a hook attachment. You can then hang it on your pet’s cage using the hook.
Don’t worry about the materials used on the models and the color. They are natural materials and food colors making them safe to chew.
- Made of sturdy and chewable material
- Colorful chews to attract your pet
- The chews are attached to a clasp for hanging inside the cage
- Disposable after being overused
- Many guineas pigs fail to take to it immediately
#6 (100% Natural Willow) Ware Manufacturing Ware Willow Critters Pretzel Sticks Small Pet Chew
The sticks are made of natural willow which is a 100% safe for your pet. The twigs have a natural woody flavor that your pet will enjoy most.
Ware Willow sticks are perfect for trimming piggy teeth while keeping it busy and therefore prevent feeling lonely.
You would want to give your pet company more often when dishing these twigs. It is an excellent way of creating and bonding relationship.
A guinea pig is just like human beings, and it craves for the human company especially when it does not have other piggy company. With this natural chew, you are sure to make a good company.
This chew product is safe with no added artificial flavors or colors. Therefore, there is no limitation of how much it can attack this twigs.
- Natural willow sticks
- Enhances teeth filling
- Provides activity to prevent loneliness
- You can use it as a relationship bonding treat
- Not a great attraction to the guinea pigs
#7 (Delicious Cheesy Chew) 8 In 1 Pet Products SEOP84002 Ecotrition Small Animal Cheesie Chews
Ecotrition Cheese Chews are delicious to be irresistible. It is 100% natural and edible cheese chew for your guinea pig.
Despite wearing its teeth, it is a nutritious treat that will provide protein especially to a young growing guinea pig which needs protein most.
The cheese is uniquely made primarily as a chewy for your pet to make sure it does not break or splinter when chewing.
Different from other chew toys, Ecotrition Cheese Chews is the real thing. It is natural, edible, and delicious.
- 100% edible cheese-chew
- Does not break or splinter
- Real natural chew different from other artificial chew toys
- Safe for growing guinea pigs
- Use sparingly as too much dairy products are not suitable for piggy’s digestive system
#8 (Brain-Storming Teeth Wear Chew) Kaytee Carousel Chew Toy Carrot, Large
Kaytee Carousel chew is the entertainment you need for your pet. Having fun while doing the needful teeth filing, will also give you satisfaction.
Carousel Chew toy is uniquely made of a combination of loofah and wood pieces. It is in the shape of a carrot to entice your pet to it.
The wood material in this toy is vital to help wear your pet’s teeth, and the loofah pieces help to floss and clean the teeth.
The toy will arouse curiosity in your pet making it wonder what is in the middle. Trying to reach the middle stuff is also another brain-storming activity.
Your pet will take to this toy immediately and start gnawing at it which is the primary purpose. Again, the toy will keep your pet busy and therefore preventing cage boredom. Boredom is a source of stress for guinea pigs.
Enjoy watching the fun your pet has when playing with its toy and gnawing at it at the same time. The toy is safe from splintering, unlike other chew products that splinter posing a danger to pets.
The materials and the color on Carousel Chew are all pet-safe, and therefore you should not worry about it.
- Shaped like a carrot to attract your pet
- Essential in wearing and cleaning teeth
- Keeps your pet active to eliminate cage boredom
- Carousel Chew is made from pet-safe material
- The loofah pieces don’t hold for long, they come apart easily
#9 (Picky Piggy Puzzle) Kaytee Combo Chews, Apple Wood and Crispy Puzzle
If you want to attract a picky piggy and make it busy and happy, Kaytee Combo Chews are the right choice.
The chew toy will shape the teeth by filing and wearing them. Also, the puzzle chew will develop the mind and the body as well.
Since guinea pigs are habitually active animals and they love scampering about, give your pet the reason to live its intended life.
This Kaytee Combo Chews will be the best choice to engage your pet physically. When your piggy pet is inactive, it tends to become unhappy and stop eating. Such a reaction may lead to ‘GI statis.’ To avoid a reaction such this, encourage activities by providing chewing toys.
Let Kaytee Combo Chews be one of the activity toys for your pet. It will provide your pet with maximum fun.
The chews on this package are natural and safe for your pet. They are Applewood and crispy edible chews. You can use the chew pieces for your pet’s kabob to encourage eating.
- Kaytee Combo Chews aid in teeth wear and dental health
- Develops mind and body by providing activity
- Chews are packed with natural, safe apple wood and other chewy, crispy pieces
- You can use the chews on a kabob
- Many of the picky guinea pigs don’t figure out the puzzle pieces
#10 (Super-pet Chews) Kaytee Superpet (Pets International) SSR61126 Wood Small Animal Apple Orchard Chew Sticks
Kaytee Superpet is all natural apple orchard sticks. The chew sticks aid in teeth wears to provide a healthy dental. While chewing this apple sticks your pet will also be aiding dental hygiene by cleaning its teeth.
Just like ‘an apple a day,’ an apple stick a day will boost dental health. The activity will also aid general health by preventing stress-related health issues due to boredom.
The apple orchard sticks are sourced from natural apple bushes after a routine of pruning.
After drying the sticks in a clean and hygienic manner, they acquire the unique apple woody smell and taste which attracts your pet.
As long as you have enough of these sticks, there is no limitation to the piggy, since they are natural and they are harmless.
- Engages your pet in a chewing activity
- Suitable for dental health and dental hygiene
- No added chemicals or artificial colors. The sticks are all natural
- Super tasty and attractive apple orchard sticks
- The sticks seem not to fit well on Kaytee Ka-bob
- There is a mixed reaction with pets towards this chew. Some like it while others won’t even taste it
As we discussed earlier, guinea pigs should always chew stuff to keep on filing their teeth as they grow. Overgrown teeth will interfere with proper feeding. Another important reason for encouraging chewing is to prevent the overgrown jagged teeth hurt them when feeding and therefore leave wounds in their mouths.
An underfed guinea pig is prone to diseases and may retard in growth. Therefore, it is your responsibility as a guinea pig pet owner to ensure your piggy has proper chew food or toys that help to file teeth. Having a healthy dental will improve your piggy’s proper feeding.
What Would You Consider When You Intend to Buy Chews?
There are many factors that you must be keen on while out there shopping for your piggy’s chews. If you follow them to the latter, you won’t go wrong in your selection.
#1 Chew Material
The material used on the chew toy is of great concern. There are some materials you should avoid when buying a chew toy:
- Dry soft sticks – Dry soft sticks can’t take much gnawing before they break or splinter leaving sharp edges that can be fatal to your pet. Buy apple orchard sticks that are tough and don’t splinter or break easily.
- Round Pebbles – Some chews have small round pebble-like objects. Your guinea pig can easily swallow the pebble which can lead to death. If it has to be round, choose a bigger one that will be impossible to ingest.
- Rubber – Rubber is toxic. Again, your pet can easily swallow rubber particles when gnawing on it.
- Plastic – Plastic is toxic. When chewing on it, there can be a risk of ingesting some bits of it if they break.
Having known this, you need to choose the material that is safe for your pet to chew.
The best material is wood because it is digestible. But, make sure it is not colored, and neither is it soft to splinter since it can cause injuries. If it is painted, it should be a food color which is safe for your pet.
#2 Edible Chews
Some chews are combined as chews or goodies. If you need to go for this kind of chew, then be careful in knowing the ingredients.
Some chews have sugar and corn content which should be used very sparingly as they are unhealthy to your pet due to the issue of fat.
The best would be hay-based chew. Timothy Hay-based chews will not only help your pet in its digestion but will assist in filing the teeth.
A toy that can combine being a chew as well as a playing toy would be the best choice.
There are various types of this kind of choice. You will have ‘killed two birds using one stone’ as the cliché goes. You will provide an activity toy to keep your pet playful and also when resting to gnaw on it to file the teeth.
Chewable materials that are not digestible must be bigger than your pet’s mouth to avoid the risk of swallowing the object.
Digestible chews should be free from chemicals. Colors, Stabilizers, and artificial flavors are some of the chemicals you might find on some chews. Such add-ons are toxic and therefore harmful to your pet.
Bright colors for your pet chews will be attractive and will brighten its habitat. But, are these colors safe? That is the question you must ask yourself when buying that cute bright colored toy for your pet.
However, some toys have suitable food colors which have been approved, and USDA certified. A chew with this type of colors is therefore safe for your pet.
#6 Price Tag
Some of these toys are way expensive and yet take only a few moments of chewing and then come apart. Do you really need to spend even a dime for such toys?
#7 Ratings and Reviews
Take a few moments to research and find out what other customers who have had the chance to use your choice of the toy have to say about it. You can learn a lot from such information.
Ensure your piggy friend has the best you can get for keeping active while wearing the teeth. Make your pet’s habitat a place of fun but not a cage of prison.
Our top pick after thorough evaluating on the selected chews products based on value, features, and customers’ comments is Kaytee Nut Knot Nibbler for Small Animals. It is the choice of most piggy owners.
You might want to know which is best for the budget. Our pick is Kaytee 3 Count Chew Toy, Carrot Patch Variety. It has 3 durable chews which is a saving for you.
Are you satisfied with the information in this review? Leave us a word to tell us what you think in the comment section here below.