Would you like to take your reptile for a walk? There are lots of people who do. All you need is one of the best bearded dragon and crested gecko leashes and harnesses. A leash and harness keep your reptile under control so that you can both enjoy the outdoors safely.
Some pet owners also allow their pet to roam indoors once they’re harnessed with a leash tied to a secure place.
If you’re worried about whether you’re up to the task of leash-training your pet, don’t be. Bearded dragons and crested geckos are mild-mannered and enjoy being handled. It’s not very hard to leash-train them. But since they both have spines on their skin, it’s important to get a harness with the right fit. Collars alone aren’t enough because they can slip out of them.
- Can I use a dog collar for a bearded dragon or crested gecko?
- What makes a good leash or harness for a reptile?
- Top Bearded Dragon/Crested Gecko Leashes
- #1 T-Rex Comfort Leash for Bearded Dragon
- #2 STARROAD-TIM Adjustable Lizard Leash Reptile Harness
- #3 Ogle Lizard Leash, Limited Edition Fluorescent Orange
- #4 Reptile Harness Adjustable by SLSON
- #5 Adjustable Reptile Training Lead Harness by pranovo
- #6 Flameer Leopard Gecko Harness Leash
- #7 Small Pet Animal Harness and Leash Angel Wings by FunPetLife
- #8 WATFOON Adjustable Lizard Leash
- #9 NT_Big Adjustable Reptile Lizard Turtle Harness
- 7 reasons you should buy a reptile leash right now
- Tips for leash-training a reptile
- Bonus: Reptile leash safety tips
Can I use a dog collar for a bearded dragon or crested gecko?
- Best Food For A Leopard Gecko: Is Leopard Gecko A Vegetarian?
- Best Thermostat For Reptile Heat Mat Review: Why You Need A Thermostat For Heat Mat?
- Best Loose Substrate for Leopard Geckos 2020: Are Loose Substrates Really Bad?
- Best Bearded Dragon Incubator 2020: How to Tell if a Bearded Dragon Egg is Fertile
Unfortunately, these reptiles are too small for dog collars. And as we just mentioned, collars are not as safe as harnesses.
What makes a good leash or harness for a reptile?
Your beardie or gecko should be comfortable and able to move their legs, head, and neck freely. The harness should be adjustable to make sure you get the best fit. It also ensures that they can’t wiggle loose and escape.
Also, make sure the fabric or material doesn’t abrade their skin. You don’t want to damage their scales or their spines.
Top Bearded Dragon/Crested Gecko Leashes
Now, are you ready to go for a walk? Then let’s help you find what you need. To speed up your shopping, we selected the top leashes and harnesses for beardies and crested geckos.
#1 T-Rex Comfort Leash for Bearded Dragon
This comfortable leash includes a soft piece of leather to act as a harness for your bearded dragon. Most people place the suede underneath the dragon’s or gecko’s belly. Then they can adjust how tight it is used by using the cord.
It’s available in multiple sizes from small to large to suit juveniles and adults. Chances are that the small or extra small size will be the best match for a gecko.
#2 STARROAD-TIM Adjustable Lizard Leash Reptile Harness
This is a product with friendly materials, safety and a different strange design. Certainly your reptilian pet will become extremely prominent when walking outside. This product has 3 sizes: S, M, L and you can choose the size that suits your pet.
Soft leather material, non-toxic and does not affect the health of the pet. This product is easy to adjust and durable.
#3 Ogle Lizard Leash, Limited Edition Fluorescent Orange
OgleRPets offers leashes in bold, bright colors with a variety of harness shades, too. You certainly won’t lose your pet in the grass if he’s wearing fluorescent orange.
This model is similar to the T-Rex comfort leash in that it includes a piece of vinyl with openings for the legs. To find the right fit, you’ll need to follow their directions for measuring your reptile.
#4 Reptile Harness Adjustable by SLSON
Yes, we know that this one is similar to some of our other selections. But there are a few differences. This one has large openings in the leather for the lizard’s legs. It also has a long 6.5-foot black cord leash.
The leather is soft, especially the suede side that touches your pet’s skin. It also comes with a handy clip that you can hook onto a belt loop or something similar. But be sure to measure your pet as this leash is better suited for larger dragons.
#5 Adjustable Reptile Training Lead Harness by pranovo
The baby pastel colors of this harness would look so cute on your juvenile crested gecko. But guess what – this leash glows at night! The paracord they use absorbs sunlight or lamp light so that it’s greenly luminescent in the dark. It’s truly a brilliant solution.
#6 Flameer Leopard Gecko Harness Leash
Your lizard is a little angel, right? This cute harness includes fluffy white wings on the top. It’s fully adjustable with wide cord straps for the body and the upper part of the leash where you’ll hold it. The middle part of the leash is a chain that clips onto the harness.
#7 Small Pet Animal Harness and Leash Angel Wings by FunPetLife
Go big, go bold. If you’re going to give your pet wings, take a look at the bright red ones. It will make your beardie look like, well, a dragon! But you can also choose other colors like green and blue. They sit on top of the adjustable cord that goes underneath your pet’s belly and around its front legs. Even better, you can unclip the leash and allow your pet to continue to wear the wings and harness.
#8 WATFOON Adjustable Lizard Leash
Here’s another eye-catching design with big black dragon (or bat) wings. The body harness cords come in a variety of colors and sizes, but the wings are all identical.
Each set also includes a piece of soft black leather for underneath the body. Then there’s the leash itself, which is a black cord, and a carabiner. The carabiner makes it easy to secure your pet to a surface without having to tie knots.
#9 NT_Big Adjustable Reptile Lizard Turtle Harness
This leash and harness is available in different colors and styles, but the basic premise is the same. Just adjust the cord to get the right fit. It loops around your lizard’s chest and abdomen with openings for their front legs. On the downside, it comes with an 80 cm leash, which is not quite 3 feet long.
7 reasons you should buy a reptile leash right now
Only dogs need a leash? Not really! Bearded dragons need them, too. For the sake of its safety, and your convenience, this accessory is a must-have for any reptile pet owner.
- Less chance of an accident: the leash & harness is there to help you control your gecko. Rather than holding it on your hand, now you can walk it around, thanks to this accessory. Moreover, the reptile can be a very active animal. With a high-quality leash & harness, your pet is safe.
- No more lost beardie: This accessory is good at keeping your beardie by your side. So it won’t have a chance to rush in some nearby bushes and disappear.
- Show-off more: Letting your friends know about your little buddy feels good. A leash can help you walk it out more frequently, and easier. Stop hiding behind rocks, start being social, beardie!
- Walk in a park, like usual pet owners: Sometimes you want to go out for a walk in the park with your gecko. Without a collar, how can you do that? Putting your pet in your pocket? No! Just grab a leash, then go!
- Sunbathing party: You spend so much time & effort to build a lovely habitat for your bearded dragon. But it’s still artificial. Hot sunlight vs. UV lamp, which one do you think your beardie will prefer? Secure your pet with a harness and go outside.
- Training a gecko made easy: Although it’s hard, it’s not impossible to train reptiles to do some cool tricks like other pets. Of course, you can’t expect it to behave like dogs or cats, but if your lizard can do a any tricks, it’s cool anyway.
- Bearded dragon leashes look good on your pet: As an accessory, leashes & harnesses can make your pet look spiffy. If you can’t put clothes on your beardie, why not try a good leash instead?
Tips for leash-training a reptile
You’ll find it a lot easier to leash-train your lizard if she’s already used to being handled by you. Make sure you begin in a warm environment where she feels comfortable and at ease. Isolate yourself from sudden noises and interruptions.
Hold her, stroke her, and keep her relaxed as you slip on the harness. Give her a treat so that she associates the harness with good memories. Adjust it to fit her and keep an eye on her behavior.
If you can let her roam in a safe place to get used to the harness before you take her for a walk, that’s much better. Then when you venture outdoors, take it slow, stick to the yard at first to see how she does.
You might need to break up the training into a few different days.
Bonus: Reptile leash safety tips
When using a leash for your lizard, here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Use a leash that is the correct size for your pet.
- NEVER pull or drag your reptile pet with a leash. It can injure your pet, especially young and small ones.
- Keep your leash in good condition and check it for frayed spots.
Drop us a comment to tell us which reptile leash and harness you’re using. We hope we helped you find the perfect one for your pet.